The Library and its third floor Museum Opened in 1893
Fairfield's former library building, the first of 1,689 endowed by Andrew Carnegie, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
We are an Iowa Century Museum, dating back to 1877.
The museum collection was begun several years earlier but there is no documentation prior to an extensive 1877 inventory.
Native American pottery, the seated monkey & other examples of 19th century taxidermy remain on display.
Most of the taxidermy was donated by the Smithsonian at the request of Senator James F. Wilson, a Fairfield native.